- In January 2015 I taught creative writing workshops in Fresno, California. One class was at the Fresno County Library, Gillis Branch. The other two classes were held at Bullard High School in Ms. Yates’ AP English. The workshop topic for all classes was on “home”: what home means to people, as well as what being from and living in Fresno, California means to people. Below you will find a link to the PDF, Fresno Stories, which is a collection of writing from those that attended the workshops.
PDF: Fresno Stories
- I assisted in starting up an alumni network for the Creative Writing department at the University of Glasgow. I continue working with the department to post regular content on the website.
- In the fall of 2014 I collaborated with other teaching staff to create a writer’s guide for working in Scottish prisons, which included discussion, writing, and the revision of content to be included in the guide.
- In the Spring of 2014 I had the honor to co-teach a creative writing class at Barlinnie Prison in Glasgow, Scotland. Over ten weeks the students wrote like crazy and we collected that writing to create a one-off journal of inspiring, heart-felt, and engaging writing. The students worked with us to revise their work, and make editorial decisions on placement of writing and what artwork to include, which was generously donated by artists from around the world.
- In 2012 – 2013 I worked with the amazing Kate to help co-found and co-edit a new literary journal, Zest Literary Journal. Kate is still doing fab work with Zest Lit. If you’re searching for somewhere to submit your writing where you will get the editor’s full attention, possibly a little feedback, and treated with the utmost respect for what you do then look no further. Some of the things I assisted with in my tenure at Zest include:
- Reviewed, vetted, and edited creative writing submissions for Issues 1 and 2.
- Compiled and formatted the PDF version of Issue 1 using iBooks Author.
- Created the editorial process and the blog for the journal.
- Once upon a time I had a food blog, but then things got super busy and I grew tired of photographing my dinner. But I still LOVE food and have fantasies of starting the blog up again one day.